Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Pointless Question


As the Vanderbilt group approaches its last week working with the Manenberg community, Professor Nation’s question continues to reverberate in my head−“Was it worth it?” Ironically, I answer his question with more questions of my own. Have I made any impact in this community? How do I know whether my service will make a change after I leave? Should I have invested my efforts in other issues that affect Manenberg as oppose to teaching IT Development, English, and Math?

These are the idle thoughts that slither through my conscience and remain the most challenging part of this adventure. The reciprocity of global learning has provided the framework for human rights to be universal. However, as I continue to work in the township of Manenberg, I see how unfairly basic human rights can easily be violated. South Africa’s apartheid remnants lurk openly in the diversely rich country. The list of injustice is long:

Violence against women-Check
Limited access to healthcare- Check
Scant opportunities to education-Check
High rates of HIV- Check

So how could knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel or identifying a gerund phrase alleviate any of these bigger issues? Is approaching things from this angle pointless?

Think, Gheremey. Think.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase,” says Dr. Martin Luther King. It’s funny how eagerly I want to make a change. I’ve forsaken my patience for empathy. Seeing struggle is hard but erasing it takes much time. South Africa’s movement from apartheid is similar to America’s era of Civil Rights dating as early as the 1930s. The fight for racial, economic, and social equality took years to overcome. Actions that may seem “pointless” to my generation have been noted in history as landmark movements that paved a better life for future generations. Civil disobedience acts from African Americans such as sitting in segregated lunch counters seemed futile at the time. Ridiculed and taunted for trying to get what should have already been given to them at birth. This is the same phenomenon that is occurring in South Africa today. The only difference is that I am amidst history in the making. The Civil Rights Movement is an intangible concept to fathom simply because I’m far removed from the event. 

The apartheid is only several years from its end. Being a part of history is unusual because there’s the hard reality that I may not witness the outcome of the work put in for the change for which I am fighting. This is the mentality I must keep while working in Manenberg. Is it worth it? Is it all pointless? Of course not! The empowerment of the Manenberg community is consequential to detaching the stigma of generational hopelessness. My work will not be in vain, and it will inspire others to work to eradicate the other pressing issues here in South Africa. Freedom has no due date. Therefore, I will continue to work…..patiently…..hopeful…faithfully. The IT Development and English/Math teachings have energetically reminded that there are people that the globe wants to see the rise of the townships. Pointless? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment