Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Proper Education

Children and families make many sacrifices to obtain a proper education. I remember growing up my parents went through extensive measures so I could receive a good education in our public school system. The children that I work with in Mannenburg are in the 6th and 7th grade, however, the SHAWCO center provides a place for all children of Mannenburg to enjoy education, sports, and technology. I remember when I was 11 and 12, I was a sports fan and budding music connoisseur. I loved everyday that I could spend with my friends and family. The children of Mannenburg are quite similar and they enjoy local music and similar songs that I enjoy. They like to play different kinds of sports and enjoy many different forms of technology. There are also children who are very advanced in reading and math and those who are struggling to make out words and lack basic comprehension skills.

After working with the children kids for about a week, it’s frustrating to see how easily many children fall behind because of a lack of resources. There are several obstacles and barriers that prevent many children from obtaining a proper education that may include gangs, violence, drugs, and improper teaching styles. I have discovered from my professors, lectures, and people in and out of the Mannenburg community that a great number of people in South Africa suffer from unemployment because they lack the proper skills for the jobs available. Many of the learners struggle with the English grammar exercises because they were improperly or insufficiently taught skills they need such as reading, comprehension, and math which has allowed them to pass through they system.

While it is possible for children to pass in several different educational systems, it is quite frustrating to discover that these children are ill equipped and unmotivated to desire changes to their own education. Many times this week I have found myself struggling to teach the differences in the English language when my learners do not have a solid understanding of grammar. It seems quite backwards for me to “tutor” a child on grammar exercises when ultimately I teach the rules of English grammar. Although it is much easier for the children to speak the language, they are more comfortable speaking Afrikaans than trying to write English sentences.

I only hope after this experience that they can remain steadfast in their quest to achieve an education and overcome the obstacles that they face. I also hope that that their holiday curriculum will challenge them so that they can perform better during the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment