Thursday, August 11, 2011

Its the little things...and the Joy they bring

Today was the last day of the Holiday Project. Despite the difficulties, I really enjoyed myself. As I was preparing for the program to end, The Lord placed it on my heart to write all of my kids personal letters. At first I was only going to write certain kids one, but I ended up writing everybody one. I’ve been to summer camps before and the counselors all wrote us notes. It made me feel special to know that somebody took the time to write a note specifically for me. I know how much it could mean to these kids to get something like that. After I wrote most of the letters I prayed over them and asked that they be used as a seed to plant in my kids life. After I passed them out, the kids that I talked to the least where the main ones that came up and gave me a hug. It made me feel good to know that the letters were appreciated. After it was over Nandi said they were competing about who’s letter was the longest, and that they were really appreciative of the letters, and that made me happy.

We ended up going back to Manenberg to work on the library after the Holiday Project had ended, and we were there while the kids were in school. One of the girls that I worked with a couple of times came up and gave me a hug and handed me a note. I wasn’t expecting it at all and it really showed me how much the letter had meant to her. When I wrote the letters I didn’t write them expecting anything in return, but this note is definitely something that I will keep as a reminder of how big of a difference the little things make.

No comments:

Post a Comment